Recycle Your Plastics At Home–Say Whaaaat?
Recycle Your Plastics At Home, a blog post by EcoGoodz, a wholesale used clothes supplier
We’ve blogged about cool and innovative things before, but this is a game-changer. Check out this short video:
Plastic waste is a huge problem. And it’s not going away. Despite the many infographics, statistics, public awareness campaigns, and recycling programs in place, the demand for and consumption of plastic is increasing. But Dave Hakkens is on a mission to change all of that. Dave is the brains behind Precious Plastics, and the creator of the free downloadable plans to build your very own plastic recycling machines.
According to EcoWatch, “enough plastic is thrown away each year to circle the earth FOUR TIMES” (emphasis added). That is frightening, isn’t it? More frightening facts about plastic include:
- Virtually every piece of plastic that was ever made still exists in some shape or form (with the exception of the small amount that has been incinerated).
- The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is located in the North Pacific Gyre off the coast of California and is the largest ocean garbage site in the world. This floating mass of plastic is twice the size of Texas, with plastic pieces outnumbering sea life six to one.
- It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
- Plastic constitutes approximately 90 percent of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile.
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- Billions of pounds of plastic can be found in swirling convergences in the oceans making up about 40 percent of the world’s ocean surfaces. 80 percent of pollution enters the ocean from the land. (source)
Admittedly, personal plastic recycling machines are not going to become a household staple. Most people won’t be interested in recycling their own plastics. And that’s OK! But please share the video because you just might provide the inspiration for someone else!
EcoGoodz is a wholesale used clothes supplier in the US. We supply mixed rags and credential clothing by the pound. We ship internationally and domestically. For more information about wholesale used clothes, please contact us.