The Holiday Waste Infographic You Need to See
The Holiday Waste Infographic You Need to See, a blog post by EcoGoodz, credential used clothing suppliers
While perusing pinterest the other day, we came across this holiday waste infographic. It really struck us that, at this time of holiday cheer and gift giving, there is so. much. waste. Would it shock you to find out that during the holiday season (from Thanksgiving to New Year), Americans throw away 25% more garbage than normal; a total of 50 BILLION extra pounds of trash??
Here are some of the highlights from this infographic:
- The 25% garbage increase comes from food waste, shopping bags, packaging, wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, discarded decorations, and probably a few fruit cakes.
- Gift wrap and shopping bags alone account for an added 4 million tons of garbage…that’s EIGHT BILLION POUNDS of paper and plastic, friends.
- We need to use less ribbon. Or no ribbon.
- Give an e-card. Or send a text. Nearly 3 billion Christmas cards are sent out each year. If they were piled up, they’d fill a football field…and be ten stories tall.
- 60% of all the Christmas trees purchased this year will end up in a landfill. But don’t worry; they’re still better for the environment than their faux counterparts.
- Incandescent bulbs may cost less at the store, but they cost a bundle more in electricity. What sounds better: $.56 or $25.13? If you lit your tree for 12 hours a day for 40 days using LEDs, you’ll pay just $.56 in added electricity. But if you’re still using incandescent bulbs, you’ll be shelling out almost 50 times that much!
- Americans spend about $800 on gifts each year….60% of which are unwanted by their recipients.
- Guess when we see a spike in battery sales? Yep, during the holidays. 40% of ALL battery sales occur during Christmas.
- Statistically, 1/4 of all the food you buy will be wasted; thrown away uneaten. Multiplied by every man, woman, and child in the US and that’s 52 BILLION pounds of food each year.
- Here’s an idea: If you and your family drove 20 miles LESS this holiday season, greenhouse gas emissions would be decreased by one million tons!
EcoGoodz is a credential used clothing supplier in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to credential clothing, we supply used mixed rags, bulk linens, and used paired shoes bulk. To inquire about the availability of any of our products, please contact us.